[NARCCAP-discuss] Interpreting NARCCAP Data

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 23 11:38:10 MST 2012

Hi Sinha,

(1) The variables in Table 1 are daily average values.
Everything else is at 3-hourly frequency.  We are working on
developing aggregations of the data (monthly and seasonal
averages and climatologies), but they're not ready for
publication yet.  However, you can find the NCL script that we
use for the bulk of the data manipulation here:
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/contrib/tools/ncl/aggregate.ncl

(2) The NCEP-driven runs cover 1980-2004.  For the GCM-driven
runs, there are two runs for each GCM-RCM pairing.  The current
run covers 1971-2000 and the future run covers 2041-2070.  See
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/about/time-periods.html for more
details.

(3) See above.

(4) The variables in Table 1 are daily averages.  Table 2 has
the 2-D surface variables of interest to impacts modelers: temp,
precip, pressure, incoming solar radiation, and u- and v-winds.
Table 3 has all the rest of the 2-D variables.  Table 4 has
static (i.e., not time-varying) variables like elevation.  Table
5 is 3-D data.

(5) All variables are available for the entirety of the
simulation period.  There may be missing data in spots due to
problems when data was saved or post-processed, but it's nothing
systematic.  We have tabulated the timesteps where data is known
to be missing here: http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/missing/

Currently we have data available for temperature, precipitation,
and snowfall.  You can calculate relative humidity from specific
humidity, temperature, and pressure (all of which are available),
and we're working on developing those datasets, but they're not
yet ready for publication.  Here's the script we'll use:
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/contrib/tools/ncl/calc_humid.ncl
We don't have heating and cooling degree days, though we may do
them at some point.

(6) No.  We have nothing available in temperature bins.

Extensive documentation of the data structure, organization, and
availability can be found on the website: http://narccap.ucar.edu/
See particularly the "About Data" and "About NARCCAP" sections.

Cheers,

--Seth