[Hearts-of-GOLD] FW: [GOLD-network] Fwd: Urgent: Combating Systemic Racism in STEM--Follow Up

Rachel O'Brien robrien at allegheny.edu
Sat Aug 29 18:51:08 MDT 2020

Hi Sim,
I can't speak for Grady, but as an academic, I'd suggest that you should
sign.  Students who graduate from STEM programs with a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D
all go out into the workforce.  So the teaching institutions, private
industries, NGOs, governmental organizations, and other employers with
vested interests in hiring talent should all support the training of a
diverse workforce.

Thanks for asking the question.  Just my two cents.
Take good care, Rachel

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:30 AM Sim D. Aberson via Hearts-of-GOLD <
hearts-of-gold at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Grady,
>
> I'd love to sign, but have two questions.
>
> The statement deals with systemic racism in academia and seems (to me)
> to be geared toward signatories who are in academia themselves.  Is it
> appropriate for those like me who are outside of academia to be
> signatories?
>
> Can I freely distribute this to my own network?
>
> Sim
>
> On 8/28/20 6:14 PM, Grady Dixon via Hearts-of-GOLD wrote:
> > Disappointingly, it has been more than a year since I have sent anything
> > to this email list. For that, I apologize. I will try to do better.
> > There are currently multiple ongoing efforts to continue the work of the
> > NSF GOLD projects.
> >

> > In the meantime, see the note below sent to a GOLD colleague by one of
> > the original coauthors of the attached (and linked) statement to be
> > published in /Science./ If you agree with the statement, and if you feel
> > obligated to “sign,” the links to add your name are below.
> >

> > I hope you all are well.

> > P. Grady Dixon
> >
> > Professor and Dean,
> >
> > Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
> >
> > Fort Hays State University
> >
> > pgdixon at fhsu.edu
> >
> > he/him/his

Rachel O'Brien, Ph.D, P.G.
Professor of Geology & Department Chair
Alden Hall, Room 203    Office phone: 814-332-2875
Pronouns I use:  she/her/hers