[Hearts-of-GOLD] Recent and upcoming papers on diversity in science

Kolesar, Sarah Sarah.Kolesar at oregonstate.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:01:00 MDT 2017

Hello fellow Hearts of GOLD participants!
Grady, thanks for getting this listserv going. I wanted to forward some recent publications on diversity in fisheries and atmospheric science that may be of interest (if you haven't seen them already - note that there's a co-author on this listserv!!).

The October issue of BAMS (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society) has two articles related to DEI that may be of interest.

*       One article outlines an undergraduate leadership workshop at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) - a paragraph on "a sense of belonging", in particular, felt quite pertinent to this group (nice work, Carolyn!!).

*       The other article focuses on diversity at AMS. This article is first in a series of similar articles that report analysis of a membership survey of the AMS.

These next 2 focus on issues of diversity in the fisheries workforce and some actionable steps for improvement within the American Fisheries Society:
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/66/7/584/2463185

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03632415.2017.1345549

Finally, the Sea Grant network is working on a best-practices guide for incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our programming and we are looking for potential reviewers. I've attached the Table of Contents here FYI - please get in touch if this is something you'd be willing to comment on for us.

Take care,
Sarah

Sarah E. Kolesar, PhD
Oregon Sea Grant Research and Scholars Program Leader
Oregon State University
1600 SW Western Blvd., Room 328
Corvallis, Oregon 97333
(541) 737-8695 voice