[Grad-postdoc-assn] TSL speaker, Bjorn Stevens, Dec. 8-10 2010

Alexandra Jahn ajahn at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 18 15:51:39 MST 2010

Dear all,

Dr. Bjorn Stevens from the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology
(Germany) will be our next Thompson Lecturer, and will come to NCAR from
*December 8th to 10th*. The agenda for his visit can be found on the
NCAR wiki:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Bjorn+Stevens+Schedule+%28Dec.+8+-+10%2C+2010%29

He will give two seminars, one general interest one on "(Low) Clouds and
Climate" at the Mesa Lab on December 8th at 11am, and a more specialized
seminar on "Aerosol effects on marine boundary layer clouds?" at the
Foothill lab on December 9th at 11am. We will also have two roundtable
discussions with him, one on careers and one on science. To make the
most of these discussions, please think about questions or topics you
would like to talk about and send them to the moderators ahead of time
(Jasper (jfkok at ucar.edu) for the Science round table and Jia
(jfkok at ucar.edu) for the Career discussion). On the evening of December
8th, we will have a Potluck dinner at the Mesa lab with the speaker
(starting at 5:30 pm). To facilitate planning, please let Alex
(ajahn at ucar.edu) know if you'll come and if you'll bring someone
(families welcome!) before December 3rd. And to make sure we have a good
variety of food to eat, please list what dish you'd like to bring on the
wiki, also before December 3rd:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Bjorn+Stevens+Potluck+Sign-Up

The rest of Bjorn Stevens visit will be devoted to individual meetings
with postdocs at NCAR. These meetings (30 minutes long) are a great
opportunity to meet renowned scientists. And even if Bjorn Stevens is in
a very different field than you, don't be afraid to sign up, because the
speakers we invite normally have a breadth of interests and can also
offer you interesting insights on career development. So rush to sign up
for a meeting, we only have 16 spots. You can sign up here:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Bjorn+Stevens+individual+meetings

Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions,

The TLS Committee
Alex, Barbara, Chuck, Jasper, Jia, Lulin,