[ES_JOBS_NET] Geomicrobiology / Biocuration / Astrobiology / Medical Geology at NASA in Houston
Regberg, Aaron B. (JSC-XI211)
aaron.b.regberg at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 16 13:21:47 MDT 2018
JacobsBiocuration Scientist in Houston, Texas
Jacobs Technology is the advanced technology arm of Jacobs Engineering (NYSE:JEC), one of the largest engineering and technical service companies in the United States. Jacobs has partnered with NASA to support space flight programs for more than 40 years and held the predecessor Engineering and Science Contract (ESC) since 2005. We look forward to continuing that work as the prime contractor for the JSC Engineering, Technology, and Science (JETS) contract along with our eleven teammate companies to provide engineering, scientific, and technical contract services at NASA's Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX). JETS provides products and technical services related to human operations in space through development and integration of a broad spectrum of engineering requirements. This includes human spacecraft flight and flight development products, human exploration mission planning for NASA, institution support services, and new technology development. At Jacobs, we believe that people are our greatest asset, and that is why we offer a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally with the advantages of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths.
Our long-term client relationship with NASA has led to a need for a Biocuration Scientist.
The Biocuration Scientistwill:
* Collect and interpret aqueous chemistry and/or organic chemistry data.
* Collect and interpret spectroscopic and B.E.T. surface area data.
* Cultivate bacteria and fungi.
* Culturing of cells (immortal and primary).
* Perform In vitro and in vivo exposure studies.
* Summarize and communicate results to project lead/manager and contribute to abstracts, presentations, peer reviewed journal articles, and grant proposals.
* Prepare Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for new lab processes.
* Sustain a safety-first laboratory culture with particular emphasis on chemical and biological safety.
* Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
* BS degree from an accredited college or university in an associated technical discipline and four (4) to nine (9) years of related experience, or a MS degree in an associated technical discipline with two (2) to seven (7) years of related experience, or Ph.D. in an associated technical discipline with zero (0) to three (3) years of direct science experience.
* Experience working with fungi and/or anaerobes.
* Experience with cell culture (primary cells and cell lines).
* Experience using sterile technique or equivalent experience working in a cleanroom setting.
* Experience with DNA sequencing.
* Experience building and maintaining relational databases (e.g. Microsoft Access, Oracle, SQL).
* Experience in the use of an array of instrumentation, including, spectrophotometer, spectrofluorometer, B.E.T. surface area analyzer and/or demonstrate an ability to learn these techniques expeditiously.
* Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
* Experience in bioinformatics.
* Experience working with rodents.
Why Work for JETS?
* Opportunities for growth and advancement
* Comprehensive Medical Coverage (medical, dental, vision)
* Benefits Tuition Reimbursement
* Much, much more!
Don't miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now! ( www.wehavespaceforyou.com ).
* Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
* Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 10 lbs (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
Primary Location United States-Texas-Houston
Req ID: AS00030I
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net