[ES_JOBS_NET] Meteorologist w/ UN World Food Programme in Rome, Italy
taholloway at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 22 12:35:05 MDT 2014
Meteorological Forecaster and Analyst
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Meteorological Forecaster and Analyst, which will be based in the Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordination Branch at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy. The selected candidate will have to be an experienced and flexible Meteorologist who is enthusiastic about both the challenges of global forecasting and communicating natural hazard risks to a variety of stakeholders.
The Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordination Branch (OMEP) is responsible for enhancing the WFP?s preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management. The Branch provides normative guidance, technical support and capacity building to field offices and regional bureaux, as well as inter-agency coordination.
Analysis and early warning for natural and man-made risks is an important part of preparedness, and building WFP?s early warning capacity is a strategic priority for OMEP. The Analysis and Early Warning Unit (AEW) was therefore established within the Branch to support WFP?s resource allocation, emergency preparedness and resource mobilisation through understanding and anticipation.
Reporting to the Head of the Analysis and Early Warning Unit (AEW), the Consultant will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Research and analyse seasonal natural hazards in countries of interest to WFP;
- Produce a monthly Early Warning Report with a seasonal forecast component;
- Conduct analysis on countries at the greatest risk for flooding and drought in the next two months;
- Collaborate with WFP?s regional Emergency Preparedness and Response Units, Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping Unit, field Security Analytical Unit, other humanitarian agencies, and partners in academic and research institutions to determine countries which have high food insecurity which will make them more susceptible to drought and flood;
- Produce seasonal forecast outlooks for Country Offices during important seasonal monsoons and indicate areas of greatest vulnerability;
- Research and identify potential impacts of natural hazards, including impact trend analysis;
- Draft briefs based on the research mentioned above;
- Any other tasks as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Master's degree in Meteorology, Hydrology, Environmental Science or a related field.
- At least 3 years of postgraduate professional experience in short term and seasonal weather forecasting or a PHD in a relevant field;
- Experience or study related to the use of international modelling products, weather centre products and satellite data;
- Experience with Linux, programming and modelling is desirable.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of statistical/numerical models;
- Knowledge of agricultural meteorology and/or hydrology is an advantage;
- Good GIS mapping skills are a plus.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgement and tact;
- Good analytical and negotiating skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and set priorities;
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate?s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org<http://www.wfp.org/> Click on: 'Our work' and 'Countries' to learn more about WFP?s operations.
[http://www.unstaffmobility.org<http://www.unstaffmobility.org/]http://www.unstaffmobility.org<http://www.unstaffmobility.org/ Learn more about countries where the UN operates.
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/14-0015466
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on 'Description' to read the position requirements and 'Apply' to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 2 September 2014
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three? years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments is intended for specific individuals or entities, and may be confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose, distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position of the World Food Programme. Electronic messages are not secure or error free and may contain viruses or may be delayed, and the sender is not liable for any of these occurrences. The sender reserves the right to monitor, record and retain electronic messages.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net