[Cowystats] CO/WY ASA : Banks - March 20; Spring Meeting April 18th; Teaching opportunity

Matt Pocernich mjpdenver at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:46:37 MST 2008

### Spring Meeting Reminder - April 18th
### David Banks Video Conference March 20th - Noon - Denver
### Denver Teaching Fellows - Looking for Math and Science Teachers

### Chapter Spring Meeting   April 18th, 2008

Our chapter spring meeting will be on Friday, April 18th 2008 at the
National Center for Atmospheric Research  (NCAR) in Boulder.  We are
in the middle of planning this meeting.   Traditionally, this meeting
contains a mix of students and invited speakers discussing a variety
of topics.  We strongly encourage students to take advantage of this
opportunity to present their research.  Typically, students present
their research when then are nearly done with their degrees.  While
this is fine, we would also like to encourage students to discuss
their research at the beginning of their programs.  This way
suggestions and comments might come at at time when they could be
used.   We tend to be a friendly, supportive crowd.  If you are a
student and wish to share some of your research, please send a note to
Matt Pocernich at pocernic at ucar.edu.  Student talks tend to be
approximate 15 - 20 minutes in length.

For those of you who have not visited the NCAR's Mesa Lab - located in
the foothills above Boulder, it is one of the most beautiful places
anywhere to have a meeting.  Great weather guaranteed.

During the spring meeting, we also conduct chapter elections.  If you
are interested in becoming more involved with the chapter please let
us know.  The time commitment is reasonable and opportunities
definitely exist to increase the activities undertaken by the chapter.
 If you know someone else who you think might be a good officer - let
us know that as well.

### David Banks  - A Survey of Statistical Work for Human Rights -
Video Conference
### Thursday March 20 - Noon - Auraria Campus Downtown Denver

Statisticians have been involved in different areas of human rights
research, from the trial of Slobodan Milosovic to designing surveys of
displaced populations to analysis of political science data.  This
talk describes  some of these applications and issues that arose in
performing them.  David Banks is a Professor of the Practice of
Statistics at Duke University.  David is also a co-editor of the
recently published Statistical Methods for Human Rights, published by
Springer, New York.

This will be the Chapter's first effort to host a speaker by using
video conferencing. This gives us the ability to see and talk with the
speaker.   While I am sure this puts us a mere 3-5 years behind your
average teenager in terms of use of technology, we are still excited.
If this works and is enjoyable, this could greatly expand the
possibility for hosting  other speakers from outside the area.

Since this is during lunch, drinks and light refreshments will be
served.  For something more substantial, you are welcome to bring your
lunch.

We will be meeting in the Auraria Campus Media Center located on the
Auraria Campus at 1155 10th Street Mall (entrance on the east side of
the Auraria Library).  For further directions see
http://www.ahec.edu/campusmaps/maps.htm .  For those of you not
familiar with the Auraria Campus, This site is located just south of
Speer Boulevard  downtown and is very accessible by light rail.

### Denver Teaching Fellows -  Alternative certification process for
math and science teachers

Denver Teaching Fellows seeks outstanding professionals and recent
graduates to make a difference in the lives of the students who need
you the most.  We are looking for outstanding candidates to teach
math, science, special education, bilingual Spanish, and early
childhood education. A bachelor's degree is required, but no prior
education coursework or experience is necessary. Visit
www.DenverTeachingFellows.org to learn more and to apply.

Kate Brenan
Denver Teaching Fellows
Their potential is mile high.  Help them reach it.  Teach.
www.denverteachingfellows.org<http://www.denverteachingfellows.org/>

(720) 423-3248 | kbrenan at tntp.org<mailto:kbrenan at tntp.org>