[Cowystats] CoWy ASA Stats - Notes March 9th

Matt Pocernich mjpdenver at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:33:27 MDT 2008

### David Banks Talk Flyer.
### Meeting within a Meeting Reminder.
### Spring Meetings - student speakers invited.
### Jobs opportunities
  *** Google Sr. Statistician - Boulder
  *** Summer, Student Intern - Fairisaac, Westminster

#### David Banks - Statistics and Human Rights - March 20th - Flyer.

David Banks will be speaking at Auraria by video conference on
Thursday, March 20th at noon.  Information is provided on the attached
flyer.  Please share this information with anyone you think might be
interested.  This talk certainly deals with a topic that may interest
people beyond statisticians.

Some of you may have received a flyer listing the time as Thursday,
March 21st.  Clearly this is incorrect.

### JSM Meeting within a Meeting.

Registration is open for local teachers to register for the Meeting
within a Meeting workshop at this year's JSM.  Spaces are filling up.
The sessions will be organized base on classroom levels.  Currently,
K-4 has the fewest teachers.  If you know of any teachers (any level)
who might be interested in this workshop.   Please personally
encourage them to apply.  If they have any questions, they can contact
Rebecca Nichols at  rebecca at amstat.org; (703) 684-1221, Ext. 1877.
More information can be found at
http://www.amstat.org/education/mwm/index.cfm?fuseaction=main .

###  Spring Meeting - Student Speakers welcome.  - Friday, April 18th.

We are in the process of planning our spring meeting.   If you are or
know of a student who would be interested in speaking, please have
that person contact me.

####  Google Senior Statistician - Boulder, CO*

Do you believe in competing on analytics? We are looking for enthusiastic
leaders to join Google's quant team to build expert systems that will
support the needs of a wide range of both internal systems and external
users. This effort includes designing, implementing and managing data-driven
decisions and expert systems/tools for advanced research and modeling/analysis.
Managing fast changing business priorities and interfacing with
product marketers,
product managers, and engineers are required for success.

Requirements

* PhD in Statistics or MS and equivalent experience
* 4+ years analytics, optimization, modeling experience.
* Subject matter expert in statistics, machine learning, and expert systems.
* Experience with Internet data a plus

For more information contact Tony Fagan at tfagan at google.comFair Isaac
Corporation

#### Analytic Science - Scientist Intern   - Position Number 3673  & 3674

These positions are listed on the web site with a location of San
Diego, but one position will be in the Westminster CO office.

Job Description :  Passion, Challenge, Innovation. That's what sets us
apart—competitively, and culturally. At Fair Isaac, we're always on
the lookout for students who bring us this kind of commitment. And
more importantly, once on board we encourage you to practice what
makes you uniquely valuable.

Analytic Science Internship:

You will work with a talented team designing, developing, and
deploying state-of-the-art, data-driven predictive models to solve
business problems using the latest technologies in neural networks,
machine learning, statistical modeling, pattern recognition, and
artificial intelligence.

Your primary responsibility will be conducting, under guidance from
senior staff members, research and development on analytics and data
management tools, processes, and technologies.

Experience/Qualifications :  Qualifications include:

• A statistical thinker and quick learner
• Strong problem solving and analytic ability
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient in Unix and in at least one major programming language
such as C or Java.

* MUST BE ACTIVE CAMPUS STUDENT

Drop your resume to our postings at your campus career center or apply
online. And to find out more, visit us online at
www.fairisaac.com/careers.