[Cowystats] CO/WY ASAS Information

Matt Pocernich pocernic at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Nov 28 09:40:46 MST 2006

1. Dinner and Drinks - Wednesday - December 6th - 6:30 - 8:30
2. Colorado Science and Engineering Fair
3. Teaching Statistics at the JSM
4. More next year.

### Dinner, drinks, ideas for next year.

Please join us for a holiday gathering Wednesday December 6th from 6:30 to
8:30 at the Old Chicago's at 1280 South Colorado Boulevard in Denver (
(303) 753-0824 ).  This is located 3 blocks north of I-25 on the east
side of the street.  I don't know  how pedestrian friendly this is
there is a new RTD light rail station at I-25 and Colorado Boulevard.

The primary purpose of this meeting is to socialize, but we would also be
very interested in any ideas for next semester.  The chapter will be
providing hors d'oeuvres.

### Colorado Science and Engineering Fair - Special Awards Program
At the suggestion of one our members, the chapter will be participating in
the Colorado Science and Engineering fair.  This event will be held in Fort
Collins on  April 5-6, 2007 in the Lory Student Center at Colorado
State University.  Judging occurs the first day, the awards are
presented the second day.  We are looking for members who might be
interested in this activity.  To establish the award, a form
must be completed with the following information.
1. Determine prize (up to 4 prizes can be awarded)
2. Determine judging criteria.  There can be a upper and lower division.
3. Provide judges and present award at the time of the fair.

More information can be found at
http://www.csef.colostate.edu/Special_Awards.html

The due date for this information is March 1st.  If this interest you,
please contact me at pocernic (at) ucar.edu.

### On the topic of K-12 Math and Science Education - we just received the
following information about a new activity at the Joint Statistical
Meeting in Salt Lake City this summer.

"Meeting Within a Meeting (MWM), a new ASA program for teachers to enhance
understanding and teaching of statistics within the math/science curriculum
that will occur during JSM.  The first MWM will occur next summer in Salt
Lake City and will be specifically for middle school and junior high
math and science teachers.  We plan to expand MWM for K-12 math and
science teachers the following year for JSM 2008 in Denver.  We are
encouraging teachers from Utah and around the country to attend this
first MWM.

                    ASA Program for Math/Science Teachers

  Based on Guidelines of Assessment and Instruction of Statistics Education
     (GAISE), which complements NCTM Principles and Standards for School
  Mathematics and NCTM Curriculum Focal Points for Prekindergarten through
                             Grade 8 Mathematics

              Sponsored by the American Statistical Association
                     2007 ASA Joint Statistical Meetings