CEDAR email: CEDAR Student Opportunities

Andrew Pepper ampeppe at g.clemson.edu
Mon Jun 5 09:47:24 MDT 2023

Hi CEDAR students!

With CEDAR less than a month away, we have started preparing for this year’s
 *student representative election*. The Student Representatives are elected
to represent the students as voting members of the CEDAR Science Steering
Committee (CSSC) <https://cedarscience.org/science-steering-committee>, which
helps determine the direction and various aspects of the CEDAR workshop and
community. Student reps organize student-related activities at CEDAR,
including Student Day. This is a two-year term with a significant time
investment, not only around the time of the CEDAR workshop but throughout
the year. Our student representative elected this year will serve through
2025.

*Timeline:* As in past years, we will accept* nominations for the student
representative position until the end of the CEDAR workshop on June 30th*.
Decisions will be made by the CSSC committee at the next CSSC meeting,
which will be held in July. Please email Zishun or me to submit a
nomination for yourself or someone else.

*Student Rep Requirement:* To become a representative candidate, the
student must be a graduate student for the next two years and have attended
one CEDAR summer workshop (both virtual and in-person workshops count).
Since the responsibilities of the CEDAR student rep are to vote in CSSC
meetings and organize student events in summer workshops, the candidates
must confirm their ability to attend the CSSC meetings and in-person
workshops for the next two years. *Students interested in running for
student rep are encouraged to participate in the CEDAR 2023 student
volunteers team and take the roles of student newsletter writers or *
*co-conveners*.

Zishun and I would also like to remind everyone about the *student
leadership opportunities* we have at CEDAR 2023! If you would like to
participate in any of these leadership initiatives, please feel free to
email Zishun or me. These opportunities are open to *both domestic and
international students:*

   - Student Day and Student Newsletter: The general theme of this year’s
   student day is “CEDAR Student Dynamics,” and we’re going to include
   lightning-round lectures on fundamentals, presentations on opportunities in
   the field, tutorials on topics ranging from modeling to measurements, and
   more! We welcome student photographers, sli.do moderators and student
   newsletter volunteers to lead our student day. We've published two
   student newsletters (2020
   <https://cedarscience.org/sites/default/files/meeting/2020_CEDAR2020_SNL.pdf>
   /2021
   <https://cedarscience.org/sites/default/files/meetings/2018/Cedar_SNL_2021_revised.pdf>),
   with a third on the way, so join our team and help out!

   - Student co-convener: If anyone would like to contribute to any
   specific CEADR workshops <https://cedarscience.org/2023-workshops>
as a *student
   co-convener, please email us! *This would involve working with workshop
   conveners and providing a brief session summary to the student newsletter.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about the leadership
opportunities, and let us know of any nominations!

PS: If this is your first time participating CEDAR, don’t forget to join
 the CEDAR slack channel <https://cedarscience.slack.com/>. We look forward
to seeing everyone in San Diego!

Your Student Reps,

Andrew Pepper (2023-2024, ampeppe at g.clemson.edu)