CEDAR email: AGU Session: SA013: Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling during Disturbed Times

Toshi Nishimura toshi16 at bu.edu
Mon Jul 17 11:11:48 MDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

We solicit presentations at the 2023 AGU Fall Meeting on mid and
high-latitude M-I-T coupling. We welcome a broad range of topics including
but not limited to storms, substorms, and multi-scale processes.

Session Title
SA013 - Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling during Disturbed
Times
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/prelim.cgi/Session/186746

Session Description
Determining effects of energy deposition and transport across regions and
different spatial and temporal scales during disturbed times such as storms
and substorms is an important objective in the mid and high-latitude M-I-T
system. Coupling across scales is also a critical challenge since
observation and modeling capabilities for bridging scales are limited. This
session solicits presentations on a wide range of coupling processes in the
M-I-T system from global to local processes. Relevant topics include but
are not limited to (1) density and temperature structures (polar cap patch,
cusp, plume, trough and irregularities); (2) convection (flow channels and
SAPS) and currents; (3) energy transfer and deposition by precipitation,
conductivity, aurora (cusp, substorm, STEVE and proton aurora), and
heating; (4) ion-neutral interaction (thermospheric density and wind), and
(5) driving from and feedback into the magnetosphere (including waves and
instabilities). Discussions by all means of observations, modeling and data
science are encouraged.

Best regards,
Toshi Nishimura, Yue Deng, Larry Lyons, Cheng Sheng