[Wrf-users] ifort compiler and RRTM/RRTMG radiation scheme seg faults [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Arthur Craig Craig.Arthur at ga.gov.au
Sun Aug 7 19:25:05 MDT 2016

Hi WRF users

I am having problems compiling and executing WRF V3.7.1 em_real case using the ifort compiler and using the RRTM or RRTMG long/short wave radiation schemes.

System config:

-          WRFV3.7.1, with bug fixes from 3.7 & 3.7.1 applied (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv3.7/known-prob-3.7.html & http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv3.7/known-prob-3.7.1.html)

-          ifort compiler (v12.1.9.293 and 15.0.3.187)

-          OpenMPI (1.6.3 and 1.8.8)

The physics namelist entry is as such:

&physics
mp_physics                          = 4, 4, 4,
ra_lw_physics                       = 4, 4, 4,
ra_sw_physics                       = 4, 4, 4,
radt                                       = 10, 10, 10,
/

When the integration reaches +10 minutes (i.e. at the radiation call), the call to rrtmg_lw generates a segmentation fault (debug level = 1000):

d01 1978-03-25_00:10:00 CALL rrtmg_lw
d01 1978-03-25_00:10:00  RRTMG: pre-computed cloud droplet effective radius found, setting inflglw=3
d01 1978-03-25_00:10:00  RRTMG: pre-computed cloud ice effective radius found, setting inflglw=4 and iceflglw=4
d01 1978-03-25_00:10:00  RRTMG: pre-computed snow effective radius found, setting inflglw=5 and iceflglw=5
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred

The same error occurs if I change the LW radiation to the RRTM or CAM options. The Goddard scheme integrates without any error, and I've not tried any other options.

I've tried recompiling with lower optimisations and the -heap-arrays option (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/270043#146890), without success. Memory, stacksize are not an issue.

Has anyone encountered this error, and if so, what (if any) was the way to resolve it?

Thanks
Craig

Craig Arthur
Hazard and Risk Infrastructure and Applications Section Leader (A/g) |  Community Safety Group
Community Safety and Earth Monitoring Division  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA
Phone:  +61 2 6249 9432    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9999
Email:  Craig.Arthur at ga.gov.au<mailto:Craig.Arthur at ga.gov.au>    Web:  www.ga.gov.au<http://www.ga.gov.au/>
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia