[Wrf-users] High Resolution SRTM matched with landuse and landsea mask

Thomas Robinson ter at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 18 13:41:59 MDT 2014

Aloha WRF users,

I am trying to do some high resolution WRF modeling over the Island of Oahu
in Hawaii.  I would like to use 500m and 100m resolution.  I obtained some
SRTM height data that looks great.  The only problem is that there is no
land use data to go along with it, so my landsea mask is bad and some of
the undefined values in the SRTM data are being read at heights.  That
leaves me with height in the 10^4m range, which is causing problems.  Has
anyone had experience creating a landmask from the SRTM terrain data, or is
there very high resolution land use that I can use.  I tried to use the
modis 15s data, but that didn't work either.

It would be really easy to just set up something like this:
if (height > 3000) then !undefined values
   landuse = 17 !water in modis 15s data
   landsea = 0 !water
endif
...The only problem is I don't even know where I could use a statement like
this.

Thanks for the help,
-Tom

--
Tom Robinson
Treasurer - Graduate Student Organization