[Wrf-users] reproducing identical results on different machines/compilers

Marcella, Marc MMarcella at AIR-WORLDWIDE.COM
Fri Mar 21 10:30:19 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I had a question about wrf and compiler/machine differences that I was hoping to get some clarity on.  I am trying to run the same set of wps/wrf compiled executables on two different machines (the libraries for the machine in which the .exe's were not compiled on were placed in the exact same location as those on the machine in which the .exe's were configured/compiled on, hence they run just fine).  So essentially, the only difference is the actual machine hardware being used.

For metgrid.exe and real.exe, the results between the two machines are identical, however even with identical met_ems and wrfinput/wrfbdy files, the wrf results are different.  By day 58 or so the average  differences in TA and especially precipitation, are quite large (on the order of 1-2mm/day).  I am trying to run this over Southeast Asia where there is a lot of cumulus convection.  But, I wanted to check if this is to be expected to observe such large differences?   I did do a quick internet and forum search but couldn't find specific work documenting this.  And, I wanted to see if there was a way in the compiling of the code (via a flag, etc that one can add) to get identical results across machines or even compilers?  I ask because what is interesting is that running an identical CCSM.exe on the two machines will yield identical CAM results on the two different machines.

Any help or insight you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc