[Wrf-users] omlcall & sst_update options

Gino Passalacqua gpassala at ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 14 11:22:11 MDT 2014

Dear WRF Users,

I'm trying to understand what exactly happens with the omlcall =1
(Pollard, Rhines and Thompson 1D Ocean Mixed-Layer Model) and
sst_update=1 options for WRF V 3.4.1 .

 From the following tutorial (slide 4):

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutor ... hysics.pdf
<http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/hurricanes/AHW_physics.pdf>

I understand that the initial temperature the slab mix layer model comes
from SST. So if I have sst_update = 1 as well as omlcall=1 on the same
namelist, I'm assuming that the initial SST comes from the prescribed
SST given by the file and wrflowinp_d0* . Am I right? What happens if
there is not a wrflowinp_d0*? Which initial SST the 1D Ocean Mixed-Layer
Model uses without a wrflowinp_d0* file?

What happens then (let's say on day # 2 of the simulation) with the SST
that WRF is using as boundary conditions?Is it provided by the 1D Ocean
Mixed-Layer Model and WRF ignores the wrflowinp_d0* files? A combination
of both?

I have look for information online and manuals but I have not found
anything that is that specific.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me understand what is
exactly is happening with this two options as I'm trying to design some
experiments and both options are a key components for them.

Thank you very much,

Gino