[Wrf-users] NCL Interpolation Problem

Chris Klich caklich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:07:04 MDT 2012

Hi, I am currently trying to plot interpolated height levels for my 2nd and
3rd domain.  However, depending on the domains I run, it seems to only work
for 2 out of the 3 domains.  It no longer gives me an error when I plot,
but rather plots both the wrong height and wrong units.  For example, I am
trying to plot an interpolated field at 5km (5000m).  I have been using the
sample script provided online to test this, and it plots the heights fine
for domains 1 and 2, but when I try to plot 5000m at domain 3, it both
plots the wrong height, and says it is trying to plot 50hPa.  All I do is
change the d01 to a d03 in the filename, so I do not believe it is a coding
issue.  I've also tried plotting this in RIP, and it seems to plot fine,
which leads me to believe it may be an NCL issue.  I am running fairly
large domains at 50 vertical levels, but I run into this problem no matter
what type of domains I run.

I've tested domains around the globe as well.  The domain I would like to
run resides in eastern Asia, and also includes part of the Himalayas.  I've
tested a domain over Australia, which seems to plot everything fine.
However, then I tried a domain in South America, and that also seemed to
cause problems.  This leads me to believe it may be a mountainous terrain
issue, but I am not sure why.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any suggestions would be great
appreciated.  I've attached the script as well as 3 plots, one for each
domain, showing what I am talking about.

Thank you,

Chris Klich