[Wrf-users] mpich2 and/or openmpi?

Martin Ivanov martin.ivanov at ifg.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Apr 26 08:47:51 MDT 2012

Dear WRF users,

I am about to install the WRF-3.4 model on my computer. According to the
documentation
mpich2 and/or openmpi can be installed to enhance functionality. As I am
not a expert in the field of numerical computing,
please apologise the probably stupid question I am going to ask.
Should I install both mpich2 and openmpi on my system or just one of
them? According to their descriptions, they implement the same
functionality, but the examples in the WRF user's guide are with mpirun,
i.e assuming mpich2. Can these two libraries actully coexist on a
system, does this make sense? If they cannot, which one would you
recommend? My system is Slackware64-13.37 kernel 2.6.38.4.

Best regards,

--
Dr. Martin Ivanov
Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen