[Wrf-users] Upper boundary cfl error (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thomas Raab thomas.raab at student.uibk.ac.at
Fri Mar 5 04:00:48 MST 2010

I also ran a couple of simulations with an innermost grid distance of
300m using 1" topograpphy data. First I found the same issues with rapid
  instability growth at a single grid point at steep slopes, regardless
of model time step. I then shifted the innermost grid a little bit
around so that after some trial and error I found a position where the
model did not blow up. Seems to be there is a crucial steepness  above
which the model gets unstable. Height of first vertical level above
ground and number of vertical levels was also important.

I hope this is acknowledged in future releases, at the moment WRF is not
really suitable for very high resolution simulations.

Best regards,

Thomas