[Wrf-users] running with pnetcdf

Aaron Sims aaron_sims at ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:00:12 MDT 2008

Using a RHEL5 Linux cluster, Ive compiled wrf 3.0.1.1 dm option with
netcdf and pnetcdf using mpich2 and pgi7.2. I had no errors during
compile and all exe's were produced. I am trying to do some mpp runs.
When running with io_forms* set to 11 (parallel netcdf) I have no
problems running on 4 procs but only if i use a single (dual proc /dual
core - 4 processing cores) machine. But when I try to send the jobs out
to more than 1 machine it just seems to hang. No errors are produced and
nothing is happening when I issue a "top". It never dies but doesnt
actually run either. RSL files are initially created and an empty wrfout
file is created. Also, everything works fine when using io_forms* = 2
(regular netcdf). Any suggestions?

Here is the only output in the rsl files:
rsl.out.0000:
taskid: 0 hostname: vapor1
Quilting with 1 groups of 0 I/O tasks.
Namelist dfi_control not found in namelist.input. Using registry
defaults for variables in dfi_control
Ntasks in X 4 , ntasks in Y 7
WRF V3.0.1.1 MODEL
*************************************
Parent domain
ids,ide,jds,jde 1 85 1 85
ims,ime,jms,jme -4 28 -4 19
ips,ipe,jps,jpe 1 21 1 12
*************************************
DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
med_initialdata_input: calling input_model_input
INPUT LANDUSE = USGS
LANDUSE TYPE = USGS FOUND 33 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS
WATER CATEGORY = 16 SNOW CATEGORY = 24
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES
INPUT LANDUSE = USGS
LANDUSE TYPE = USGS FOUND 27 CATEGORIES
INPUT SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICAION = STAS
SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS FOUND 19 CATEGORIES
STEPRA,STEPCU,STEPBL 10 1 1

--
   Aaron Sims
   Assistant State Climatologist