[Wrf-users] Fine resolution run dies on radiation

Mikhail Titov Mikhail.Titov at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 22 18:44:16 MDT 2008

Dear all,

I have a curious problem - I try to run a fine grid (with spatial resolution
1.0x1.0 km) using initial-nudging data from grid 3 (nestdown) of the
finished 3-grid run (27-9-3 km spatial configuration).

But for the particular place of New Zealand (and only for it and I don't
know why!) in the middle of the South Island WRF (fine grid 1 separate run)
stops reaching radiation calculation block and gives "fragmentation error".
Initially I used 'radt=27' (as the spatial resolution of a mother grid for
3-grid run was 27 km).

I tried to play with radiation parameters and radt value and made WRF
working for radt=1 and time_step=0.5 of a second.
But this configuration is useless as WRF runs 1 hour about 45 minutes and I
need to run a year!

I didn't collide in such a problem before.
Could it be a problem with IBM P575 (I work at) level of optimisation or
some another P575 (AIX) stipulation of the maximum number of the iterations?

I had a problem several years ago that reminds me this one. I was trying to
run MM5 on Unix workstation (Solaris) and MM5 stoped at the beginning after
several time steps: only a command "-fast -nodepend" helped me to run MM5
normally.

Any suggestions are highly appreciable.

Many thanks,

Dr. Mikhail Titov