[Wrf-users] Switching off parameterizations?

Gareth Berry gareth at atmos.albany.edu
Thu Aug 2 13:23:43 MDT 2007

WRFers,

I am having some issues with the use of paraterizations in WRF (V2.1.1) - I'm repeating some
already successful simulations, but I am interested in the effects of convection so I am
repeating these runs from their midpoint using restart files. In the repeated run I have set
both the CU and MP options to zero in the namelist file, which I beleive is tantamount to
turning off these parameterizations.

I've modifed the WRF registry to output the heating rates from the various parameterizations
as 3D variables and I've seen that the heating rates from the CU and MP schemes are non-zero
(in fact 10-50% of their equivalent in the original run). Could someone enlighten me as to why
this might be happening? I was expecting these tendencies to be very close to zero as my
coarse reolution (50km) would not contain much resolved convection.

The WRF netcdf variables I'm talking about are:

         float RTHCUTEN(Time, bottom_top, south_north, west_east) ;
                RTHCUTEN:FieldType = 104 ;
                RTHCUTEN:MemoryOrder = "XYZ" ;
                RTHCUTEN:description = "COUPLED THETA TENDENCY DUE TO CUMULUS SCHEME" ;
                RTHCUTEN:units = "Pa K s-1" ;
                RTHCUTEN:stagger = "" ;

for the CU scheme and

        float H_DIABATIC(Time, bottom_top, south_north, west_east) ;
                H_DIABATIC:FieldType = 104 ;
                H_DIABATIC:MemoryOrder = "XYZ" ;
                H_DIABATIC:description = "PREVIOUS TIMESTEP CONDENSATIONAL HEATING" ;
                H_DIABATIC:units = "" ;
                H_DIABATIC:stagger = "" ;

for the microphysics.

Any help on this head scratcher is most welcome!

Cheers,

Gareth.