[Wrf-users] Boundary condition: Seeking suggestion

Gautam Bisht gbisht at MIT.EDU
Tue May 8 21:00:33 MDT 2007

Hi,

I am a graduate student and seeking some suggestion for my research.
I am new to amospheric sci, so pardon me if my query is naive.

I am trying to study the effect of vegetation controlled by
topography on the regional climate. For the purpose, I am coupling a
home-grown LSM model with WRF. I want to run long simulations (of the
order of decades).

In order to isolate the effects of vegetation on the regional climate
from other large scale atmospheric processes, I was planning to use
cyclic boundary conditions. I have am doubts about this approach now
that running the model that long with cyclic conditions would
eventually result in loss of energy of the system. So here is my
question: Is there a way prescribe a synoptic forcing to WRF while
using cyclic boundary conditions?

I also noticed that for "real" cases, 4D arrays of boundary values as
well as their tendencies are used in lateral boundary condition
files. Is what I am trying to achieve is basically forcing the model
with "real tendencies" while having cyclic boundary conditions?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

With regards,
-Gautam.