[Wrf-users] NARR with metgrid.exe (WPS)

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Sat Feb 10 18:00:15 MST 2007

Howdy,

I'm wondering if anybody has actually seen success in
running metgrid.exe with NARR input.

I have ungribbed all my NARR input successfully
(and it looks somewhat reasonable to the untrained eye).

For running metgrid.exe, I set up my namelist.wps &metgrid section like:

&metgrid
 constants_name = 'NARR_FIXED:1979-11-08_00'
 fg_name = 'NARR_SFC', 'NARR_3D', 'NARR_FLX'
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

and when I run ./metgrid.exe, I get a few warnings about
SPECHUMD not found in METGRID.TBL.ARW, but
nothing that looks real serious, but at the very end I get the
following stdout:

----------------------------------
Processing domain 1 of 1.
    NARR_FIXED:1979-11-08_00
 Processing 2000-08-09_00
    NARR_SFC
    NARR_3D
    NARR_FLX
 WRF_DEBUG: Warning DIM             4 , NAME num_metgrid_levels
REDIFINED  by var SPECHUMD            30           29  in wrf_io.F90
line         2349
ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field
FORTRAN STOP
-----------------------------

I'm taking a wild guess here and theorizing that this is somewhat related to
the discussion in the ARW Tutorial concerning "mod_levs.exe" but I'm not
sure if I'm on the right track, and if I am, well, what the h&*^ do I do from
here? :)    The tutorial seems to imply that the intermediate files all need
to have the same number of levels, but this doesn't make sense to me,
considering that the SFC and FLX files have only one level....
I know I must be missing something fundamental here.  Any help
appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

--