[Wrf-users] About compilation of wrf v2.2

Brian Jewett jewett at atmos.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 3 09:42:39 MST 2007

Carl,

We encountered several issues compiling WRF/ARW v2.2, including long compile
times, and for some routines out of memory messages (or simply "terminated")
from the compiler.  Note solve_em.F is 30% larger than in version 2.1.2.

Our problems were circumvented by one or more of the following, following
suggestions from wrfhelp and others:

- going to the latest version of the compiler, if a newer release was
available (e.g. intel fortran 9.1.044 instead of 9.0)

- for the out of memory error: compiling on a machine with more memory (I also
switched from pgf90 to intel fortran)

Compiling several of the dyn_em/*.F routines proceeded slowly or died during
the compile.  I retried the compile manually for the failed routines --
repeating the exact listed compile command with -O0; if that worked, I would
try -O1 etc.  Some routines required -O0; others would compile at -O2 but not
-O3.  You can then modify the configure.wrf (or arch/configure.defaults)
following the example of some routines listed there such as module_domain.o,
which are already set to compile with a lower optimization level.  For
example, for ifort with -O2:

couple_or_uncouple_em.o \
nest_init_utils.o:
         $(RM) $@
         $(SED_FTN) $*.F > $*.b
         $(CPP) -I../inc $(CPPFLAGS) $*.b  > $*.f90
         $(FC) -c $(PROMOTION) $(FCBASEOPTS) $(MODULE_DIRS) -g -O2 $*.f90

Hope this helps,

   Brian

Brian F. Jewett, Ph.D
Research Scientist & Instructor, University of Illinois
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Email:  bjewett at uiuc.edu
Ph:  (217) 333-3957 (W), 244-4393 (fax)