[Wrf-users] About compilation of wrf v2.2

Ligia.Bernardet at noaa.gov Ligia.Bernardet at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 3 09:57:30 MST 2007

Hello Carl,

I have experienced a similar issue when using a Linux Cluster to compile
the latest WRF release.

When I checked the memory being used to compile (using "top"), I noticed
that the memory use was very large (> 2 GB) for what my compiling node.
I assumed the computer was trying to swap to disk, and therefore took
forever and could not complete the compilation. I tried to change my
TMPDIR environmental variable to an area on disk with more space but
that did not solve the problem.

So far, the only way I have been able to compile was to reduce the
optimization option  to -O2, that is, do not use -fastsse. I have not
tried -fast. Also, I have to leave -g out. Note: I have only attempted
to compile NMM, not ARW.

The optimization options can be altered in file WRFV2/configure.wrf
AFTER you run configure but BEFORE you run compile. If you want to make
the changes in optimization options your default, you need to change
them in configure.defaults.

Ligia Bernardet
NOAA ESRL