[tgcmgroup] TIE-GCM auroral control parameters

Stan Solomon stans at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:59:29 MDT 2016

The hierarchy of auroral control parameters in the TIE-GCM is somewhat
confusing, because there are so many options.

First of all, there is a switch called POTENTIAL_MODEL which can be set
to either "HEELIS" (the default) or "WEIMER".

In either case, the model may then be run with namelist input parameters
specifying the inputs to the potential model, or with time-dependent
parameters read from a file.

For Heelis runs: the model will use the cross-tail potential CTPOTEN and
hemispheric power POWER specified in the namelist inputs, if present.
Alternatively, it can use KP specified in the namelist inputs, from
which CTPOTEN and POWER are calculated using correlation relationships.
  These can also be time-dependent arrays in the namelist inputs.  If
CTPOTEN, POWER, and KP are *not* present, the model reads a geophysical
index file, specified by GPI_NCFILE, from which it gets time-dependent
3-hour KP.  A GPI file covering 1960-2015 is provided with the model
download.

For Weimer runs: the model will use interplanetary magnetic field and
solar wind parameters BYIMF, BZIMF, SWDEN, and SWVEL specified by the
namelist inputs.  If these are not present, it will read them from a
file specified by IMF_FILE.  A GPI file can also specified for Weimer
runs, but only for solar irradiance inputs.  Selected 1-year IMF files
are provided with the model download, and others are available at
http://download.hao.ucar.edu/pub/tgcm/.

Solar irradiance input control is similar.  The model uses F107 and
F107A if specified in the namelist inputs, and otherwise gets them from
the GPI file.  It is possible to mix solar and auroral inputs between
namelist and file-based, for instance, you could run with time-dependent
KP from the GPI file but constant F10.7 and F10.7 from namelist inputs.

So, if you're trying to do a "Heelis/GPI" run, or a "Weimer/IMF" run (in
our vernacular), don't set namelist inputs because they will override
the file-based inputs.  For more details, see chapter 5 of the user
guide, and the extensive comment in subroutine inp_solar in file input.F.

Stan

...a user writes...