[Proflist] I need textbook recommendation for senior climate course

Leigh Orf Leigh.Orf at cmich.edu
Mon Mar 23 10:25:40 MDT 2009

This one might be of interest:

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?bkfno=170791&ad_id=214

Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Dynamics
Series: INTERNATIONAL GEOPHYSICS SERIES
93<http://www.nhbs.com/international_geophysics_series_tefno_19427.html>
An Introductory Text
John Marshall and R Alan Plumb
320 pages, illus.
Elsevier Science Publishers <http://www.nhbs.com/browse.php?pub=708>

It has "introductory" in its title but does assume a calculus and diffeq
background. It seems a nice balance between theory and description. I am a
meso guy and haven't used it in any of my classes, but it looks good.

Leigh Orf

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Alan Robock <robock at envsci.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I will be teaching a course in climate dynamics to our senior
> undergraduate meteorology majors in the Fall, and wonder if anyone can
> recommend the optimal textbook.  I am thinking about using Hartmann's
> Physical Climatology, which works well for a graduate class, but is a
> little out of date.  I will use the AR4 IPCC report and recent papers as
> supplements, but wonder if there is a good book that explains the
> climate system and climate change at the right level.  Thanks.
>
> Alan
>
> Alan Robock, Professor II
>   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
>   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
> Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
> Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
> 14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
> New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock<http://envsci.rutgers.edu/%7Erobock>

Leigh Orf
Assistant Professor of Atmospheric Science
Room 130G Engineering and Technology
Department of Geology
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859