[ncl-talk] Probability density function issue with missing values

Giorgio Graffino g.graffino at tim.it
Mon Jul 15 05:13:01 MDT 2024

Hello NCL experts,

I'm using the NCL function pdfx
(https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/pdfx.shtml) to
compute probability density functions for a number of datasets. I think
there is a problem with how the function deals with missing values.

I'm attaching two plots: Volcano_tempmovingtrend_timeseries_MMMpdf.png
is obtained from ensemble-mean datasets (no missing values), while
Volcano_tempmovingtrend_timeseries_MEMpdf.png is obtained from
individual ensemble members of the same datasets (loads of missing
values). The red lines in Volcano_tempmovingtrend_timeseries_MEMpdf.png
are really messed up, probably because of the great amount of missing
values in that dataset.

Is pdfx skipping missing values in the computation? What workaround can
I implement to avoid the issue?

Many thanks,
Giorgio