[ncl-talk] Do not show significance level in a correlation map

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 16 13:08:36 MST 2024

Hi Jalal,
I was able to plug in a monthly SST dataset that I have here, so I was able
to run your script. So I think what is happening is that the stippling is
so small/faint/sparse that it is hard to see it. I made two changes to your
script:
1 - I was getting stippling over land as the rtest function was seemingly
not recognizing the _FillValue of the input array. (I find this strange,
but have not used rtest before.) To fix this, I put in a where statement
and added the _FillValue attribute to your p array:
  p = rtest(r_sst,42,0)
*  p at _FillValue = 1.e20*
  copy_VarCoords(r_sst, p)
*  p = where(ismissing(r_sst),p at _FillValue,p)*

2 - I modified/added the following gsn_contour_shade options to make the
stippling more visible:

*  opt at gsnShadeFillScaleF   = 0.25         ; add extra density
opt at gsnShadeFillDotSizeF = 0.0015*

I have attached the modified script, along with the plot that I am getting.
Hope that helps!
Best,
Adam