[ncl-talk] install ncl with conda

Colin Zarzycki czarzycki at psu.edu
Fri May 12 09:52:23 MDT 2023

Hi Francesco,

See this discussion on the NCL github repository:
https://github.com/NCAR/ncl/issues/187

Essentially, there is no "bottled" NCL with conda and the arm64
architecture, so it currently must be built from source using something
like Macports.

-Colin

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 12:23 PM Francesco Trotta via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear Ncl-User
>
>    I'm trying to install ncl in my Linux VM inside my new macbook M2
>    but I got these message below
>
>    How can I solve it?
>
> best
> Francesco
>
> conda create -n ncl_stable -c conda-forge ncl
> Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
> Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will
> retry with next repodata source.
> Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
> Solving environment: failed
>
> PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from
> current channels:
>
>   - ncl
>
> Current channels:
>
>   - https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/linux-aarch64
>   - https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/noarch
>   - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/linux-aarch64
>   - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/noarch
>   - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/linux-aarch64
>   - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/noarch
>
> To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you're
> looking for, navigate to
>
>     https://anaconda.org
>
> and use the search bar at the top of the page.

Colin M. Zarzycki, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Meteorology and Climate Dynamics
Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
Pennsylvania State University
Web: http://www.colinzarzycki.com
My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to