[ncl-talk] Problem using contributed function "time_axes_labels"

Tabish Ansari tabishumaransari at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:33:06 MDT 2023

Hi

I'm running an NCL script which utilizes the time_axes_labels function on
two different machines. Since it is a contributed function, it needs to be
loaded manually in the preamble. The script runs smoothly on one of the
machines but fails on the other.

I use these two lines in the beginning of my script:
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/contrib/time_axis_labels.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/contrib/cd_string.ncl"

and the code snippet where I use the function is here:
;--------------------------------------------------
; The time_axis_label function adds additional
; resources to "res" to produce nicely-formatted
; time labels on X axis. This function only works
; if you have a time "units" recognized by the
; cd_calendar function.
;--------------------------------------------------
  restick           = True
  restick at ttmFormat = "%Y"
  restick at ttmMajorStride= 12
  restick at ttmMinorStride= 1
  timearr = ispan (1,228,1)
  timearr at units = "months since 2000-01-01 00:00:00"
  time_axis_labels(timearr,res,restick)         ; this is line no. 154
  res at trXMaxF=max(timearr)

I get the following error on one of the machines:
fatal:["NclAtt.c":262]:Attribute assignment type mismatch.

fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 214 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/contrib/time_axis_labels.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 154 in
file noxtagging-stackedcontributions.ncl

Please let me know if you can spot something obviously wrong here. I'm
running NCL 6.6.2 on both machines.

Thanks.

kind regards,

Tabish
Dr Tabish Ansari
Research Associate
Air Quality Modelling Group
Research Institute for Sustainability (RIFS) - Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
Potsdam, Germany