[ncl-talk] Vertical Feature Mask (VFM) diagram using CALIPSO

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 25 15:01:49 MST 2022

re: "exactly for latitude between 32 N and  38 N, please?"

The words "exactly" and "between" makes this unclear to me.

Do you mean "exactly" 36N?  (32N + 36N)/2 = 36N

Do you mean all latitudes "between" 32N and 36N?

I am not very familiar with CALIPSO data grids.

You may have to interpolate the data to some standard grid which includes
the latitude:

One dimensional coordinate variable:

NCL's coordinate subscripting:   {...}
  x = data(*{*36*}*,:)   ;  all data at or hear 36N

To find indices (subscripts) corresponding to specific 'targets

One-dimensional coordinates

*ind* <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ind.shtml>

   il = ind(lat.ge.32 .and. lat.le.36)    ; lat(lat)

Two-dimensional coordinates
*region_ind*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/region_ind.shtml>
*getind_latlon2d*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/region_ind.shtml>

THe HDF EOS group has many examples using Matlab, NCL, Python and IDL
*    http://hdfeos.org/zoo/* <http://hdfeos.org/zoo/>
perhaps, one of the NCL examples could help.