[ncl-talk] Computing geopotential height

Carlos Marques cafm at ua.pt
Mon Nov 14 06:17:25 MST 2022

Hi,

Attached there are two scripts that I used to compute Geopotential for CMIP6 model MPI-ESM1.2-LR and to interpolate after to pressure levels.

Also attached there are 3 figures that compare the geopotential computed and interpolated to pressure levels with NCL with that provided by MPI. You may see that they compare fairly well.

You should check that every variable is what NCL's expects (units, coordinates ordering, etc. ). I think that for example you P0 is in hPa, but NCL expects that to be in Pa.

I don't think that you can compute and interpolate to pressure levels without the surface geopotential.

Hope that helps.

C. A. F. Marques
CESAM & Physics Department
University of Aveiro