[ncl-talk] Trying to decode a grib file with limited success

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:02:57 MDT 2022

NCL is correctly unpacking the values.

The issue is that the variable's long_name and units are not in the table
lookup used by NCL. In a sense, GRIB file contents are a bit of a 'moving
target.' The tables must be updated continually. NCL is no longer
performing that task.

Example:

The variable id is 233

      float VAR_0_1_233_P0_L1_GLC0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
         center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
         production_status :    Operational products
         long_name :    unknown variable name                      <=====
         units :
 unknown                                                    <=====
         _FillValue :   9999
         coordinates :  gridlat_0 gridlon_0
         grid_type :    Lambert Conformal can be secant or tangent, conical
or bipolar
         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological products,
Moisture
         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 0, 0, 1,
233 )
         level_type :   Ground or water surface
         level :         0
         forecast_time :        5
         forecast_time_units :  hours
         initial_time : 03/20/2022 (12:00)

warning: Entry (233) not found in code table file
/Users/shea/devel/ncl/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables/ncep/4/4.2.0.1.table

You will have to look up grib2_codetables/ncep/4/4.2   or some such thing.
Then, manually enter the appropriate information.

    X = f->VAR_0_1_233_P0_L1_GLC0
    X at long_name = "..."
    X at units           = "..."

Good luck