[ncl-talk] Trying to decode a grib file with limited success

Andrew Kren - NOAA Federal andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Sun Mar 20 12:07:53 MDT 2022

Hi there,

I am trying to decode an NBM blend of models grib file but having
trouble determining what the variables are for certain unknown ones.

When I do an ncl_filedump, I get several listings from the file that are
"unknown variable name". I'm trying to determine the prob snow, sleet, ice,
rain variables but looking at both the ncdump info and the index files, as
well as NOAA VLab is still confusing. The file I am trying to read is
located at this link:

https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/blend/prod/blend.20220320/12/core/blend.t12z.core.f005.co.grib2

Any help is much appreciated!

--