[ncl-talk] Fwd: Color Scheme Error

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:20:45 MDT 2021

Hi Jackson,
It is a bit difficult to ascertain what is going on with the information
provided. When you say you are getting numerous error messages,
at what line(s) are you getting them? You are creating numerous plots
within the script, but I am guessing that some of your error messages are
coming from this line:
contour_spd = wrf_contour(a,wks,spd(0:zmax_pos,:),opts_spd)
as the black color fill you are referring to is for your wind speed contour
field. What I am not understanding is that you are setting your
ContourParameters resource to this:
opts_spd at ContourParameters       = (/ 0., 38., 2. /)
but the contours for the plot go from 0 to 32 by 4, so I am missing
something here.

I would recommend simplifying your script, so that the only thing it is
doing is creating the wind speed contour field. Eliminate all other
resource lists and code that isn't needed.
See if anything improves. If that does not help you to figure out what is
wrong, reply to the ncl-talk email list with the newly simplified script,
and tell the group about any error
messages, along with at what line they occur at.
Adam

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 3:40 PM Jackson Wiles via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Attached is an image of a vertical cross section. I am receiving multiple
> warnings that read similarly. The warning states,
> “warning:ContourPlotSetValues: color index (227) exceeds size of palette,
> defaulting to foreground color for entry (8).”
>

> I have tried many different color schemes and found if I use a color
> scheme less than 256 colors, the black color extends to half of my legend
> accordingly.
>

> In the script, the area of interest is entitled, “; Plotting options for
> Total Wind (U and V)”
>

> Is there a way to take away the black color?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jackson

Adam Phillips