[ncl-talk] Vertical interpolation

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:03:43 MDT 2021

"I found the function *vinth2p_ecmwf* very useful for my purpose, but I am
a bit puzzled if it is right to use it with all the models.:

The difference between  *vinth2p*  and *vinth2p_ecmwf *

is that the latter uses "an ECMWF formulation to extrapolate values below
ground."

If the pressures at hybrid levels are computed using the dimensionless
coefficients (A, B):

             p(k) = A(k)*PO + B(k)*PS

then yes.
====
Some models output a hybrid component, *Ap(k) [=A(k)*p0]*, which has units
of pressure. This must be made dimensionless *prior* to use.