[ncl-talk] CAPE calculation

Wang, Jiali jialiwang at anl.gov
Tue Nov 9 10:21:29 MST 2021

Dear NCL users,

I have been using wrf_get_uservar to get cape_2d and cape_3d for my research domain, over the Great Lakes region. There are water bodies and land. I noticed there are many missing values in both cape_2d and 3d outcomes. See some examples attached. I have also tried to use wrf_cape_2d to calculate cape_2d, and I made sure the PSFC is converted to hPa. The outcome is almost the same, with lots of missing values. Missing values are located over different places at different times.

However, it seems the missing value is not expected? https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2013/2422.html

Can you advice what is the correct way to calculate CAPE or whether I am getting reasonable results?

Thank you!
Jiali

[cid:image001.png at 01D7D55B.EF73E890][cid:image002.png at 01D7D55B.EF73E890]