[ncl-talk] could not find ESMF_RegridWeightGen executable

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 18 10:55:04 MDT 2021

This is a path setup problem.  Look inside ESMF_regridding.ncl, lines
2739-2754.  There are two different ways to access the executable
ESMF_RegridWeightGen.  Either that must be in a directory included in your
normal PATH variable, or else the optional shell variable ESMFBINDIR can be
used to specify the directory containing ESMF_RegridWeightGen.

ESMFBINDIR takes priority.  If this variable is set incorrectly, then NCL
will not look in your regular PATH, and you will get that error.

For most installations, I recommend including the path to ESMF in your
regular PATH variable, and make sure that ESMFBINDIR is *NOT SET*.  But use
ESMFBINDIR if you need to keep ESMF out of your normal PATH for some reason.

Since NCL uses subshells, it may be helpful to diagnose this problem using
subshells while NCL is actually running.  Use these commands from the NCL
command prompt, to examine your current NCL environment.  The "which"
command uses your PATH and is not aware of ESMFBINDIR.

    system ("echo $PATH")
    system ("echo $ESMFBINDIR")
    system ("which ESMF_RegridWeightGen")