[ncl-talk] could not find ESMF_RegridWeightGen executable

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 18 09:15:30 MDT 2021

Hi Jiali:

The function ESMF_RegridWeightGen executable is part of the ESMF library
and is not a ncl function: that is the reason why you did not find it in
the ncl source code itself. It is the ncl function ESMF_regrid_with_weights
that calls the ESMF_RegridWeightGen (that ncl function is in the large ncl
script ESMF_regridding.ncl.) So your ncl script should
call ESMF_regrid_with_weights, not ESMF_RegridWeightGen.

Hope this helps,
Laura

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 6:17 AM Wang, Jiali via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have been trying on different suercomputers, and all of them look fine
> (ncl and the excutable are at the same place), but it still says can’t find ESMF_RegridWeightGen
> executable. I am doing exactly the same thing as this.
>

> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/ESMF_regrid_36.ncl
>

> Can anyone advise please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jiali
>

> *From: *Jiali Wang <jialiwang at anl.gov>
> *Date: *Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM
> *To: *"ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu" <ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu>, ncl-talk <
> ncl-talk-bounces at mailman.ucar.edu>, "ncl-talk at ucar.edu" <ncl-talk at ucar.edu
> >
> *Subject: *could not find ESMF_RegridWeightGen executable
>

> Hi NCL users!
>

> I am having a problem running a regrid script.
>
> It says “could not find ESMF_RegridWeightGen executable” after generating
> the source_grid_file and destination_grid_file and before generating the
> weights.
>

> Here is what I got (by following up this link
> https://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/ncl-talk/2018-April/011949.html), it
> seems everything is at the same place but it just can’t find it.
>

> (ncl_stable) [jialiwang at beboplogin4 regrid_test]$ which ncl
>
> /soft/anaconda3/5.2.0/envs/ncl_stable/bin/ncl
>
> (ncl_stable) [jialiwang at beboplogin4 regrid_test]$ ncl -V
>
> 6.6.2
>
> (ncl_stable) [jialiwang at beboplogin4 regrid_test]$ env | grep NCARG
>
> *NCARG*_ROOT=/soft/anaconda3/5.2.0/envs/ncl_stable
>
> (ncl_stable) [jialiwang at beboplogin4 regrid_test]$ which
> ESMF_RegridWeightGen
>
> /soft/anaconda3/5.2.0/envs/ncl_stable/bin/ESMF_RegridWeightGen
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>

> Jiali

Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628