[ncl-talk] Confusion on GFS files in GRIB2

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 10 17:04:14 MST 2021

THX for the file:   *gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p25.f000.grb2*

Using NCL Version *6.6.2*, the output from

%> ncl_filedump gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p25.f000.grb2 >&! dump.gfs.txt

is attached.
===
Multiple 'TMP' variables are on the file.

TMP_P0_L1_GLL0
TMP_P0_L6_GLL0
TMP_P0_L7_GLL0
TMP_P0_L100_GLL0
[SNIP]

It does include:         float *TMP_P0_L103_GLL0 *( lv_HTGL2, lat_0, lon_0 )
====

You are using NCL Version *6.4*

I can only speculate that subsequent versions of NCL had updates to handle
the NCEP  GRIB2 files.

Unless, others have suggestion, you may have to upgrade your versions of
NCL.

Good Luck