[ncl-talk] Convert unpacked netCDF file to packed one

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 11 12:45:33 MST 2021

I see.  I suggest the best solution would be a simple upgrade to the model
code, so that it could read both packed and unpacked air temp files.  This
will enable the model to use future data updates without extra processing.

In fortran, this would be an if statement to check whether there is a
scale_factor attribute.  If not, then skip reading scale_factor and
add_offset, also skip the unpacking statement or loop that converts packed
data values to unpacked.  Just read in the unpacked values directly.  You
would need two read statements, the original one for the packed data type,
and a new one for the unpacked data type (fortran real).

If something prevents you from changing the model code, then just convert
the air temp file to packed using the NCL *pack_values* function.  See the
general documentation for how to read and write a netcdf file.