[ncl-talk] Getting dates when a specific contour line is within a region

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Sun Feb 14 10:04:35 MST 2021

Here is another method that is more straightforward than counting.  It is
rather obvious, sorry.  I wish I had thought of this sooner.  Just use the
min and max values of each domain grid.

    subset = vp(:, {2:25}, {100:130})
    xmin = dim_min_n (subset, (/ 1,2 /) )
    xmax = dim_max_n (subset, (/ 1,2 /) )

    has_zero = ((xmin * xmax) .le. 0)

The result is a 1-D array, true or false for each time step.  This is much
easier to resolve than the counting method.  This also handles missing
values gracefully.