[ncl-talk] Missing data in ERA5?

Anne Seidenglanz annework985 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 08:46:37 MST 2021

Hi,

I am not new to NCL but encounter a rather new problem when dealing with
ERA5 data (in .nc format, see script attached). I am trying to produce a
simple test plot for geopotential height, and somehow all my data seems to
be missing? The error message appears:
warning:ContourPlotInitialize: no valid values in scalar field; ContourPlot
not possible:[errno=1101]
When I printed a subset of the dataset, all the values seemed to be missing
values.

I have:
- tested that not all data is missing in Z with "print("Is Z all missing ?
" + all(ismissing(Z)))". It gave me False.
- I have tried both, reading in the data using "short2flt" to account for
scale factor and offset value, and without short2flt. In both cases appears
the missing value problem and the same error message.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thx for any help
Anne