[ncl-talk] Segmentation fault with image size(frame size)

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:15:16 MDT 2021

Hi Kihang,
Without seeing the exact error message, and an example of the graphical
output, this is difficult to answer. Changing vpYF or tmYLLabelDeltaF
should not result in a segmentation fault per se. I wonder if you are
running out of memory? Is the seg fault a malloc error? If it is, can you
alter the code to use less memory, or switch to a different machine? If it
is not, then I unfortunately do not know what to suggest. Hopefully someone
else on the ncl-talk list can chime in here.
Adam

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 4:53 AM Kihang Youn via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I got some segmentation errors during draw or frame steps.
>
> To debug or figure out a workaround, I tried commenting out the functions.
>
> First, once I comment on the gsn_add_polyline function, Seg error does not
> occur.
>
> But polyline is needed, so I uncommented it and looked at the other
> values, and as a result, no error occurred by adjusting the following
> variables res at vpYF or res at tmYLLabelDeltaF.
>
> Can such variables affect the size of an image or frame and cause a
> segmentation fault?
>
> For information, the ncl script draws multiple pictures with the do
> statement, but an error occurs only in some pictures.
>
> Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
>

> Belows are system information and library information
>
> CentOS Linux release 8.3.2011
> Derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3
>
> ncl/6.6.2
>

> ulimit -a
> core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
> data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
> scheduling priority             (-e) 0
> file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
> pending signals                 (-i) 2317435
> max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
> max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
> open files                      (-n) 16384
> pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
> POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
> real-time priority              (-r) 0
> stack size              (kbytes, -s) unlimited
> cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes              (-u) 300
> virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 16777216
> file locks                      (-x) unlimited
>

> Best Regards,
> Kihang
>
> *Kihang Youn* - Application Analyst | Lenovo DCG Professional Services
> Mobile: +82-10-9374-9396
> E-mail: kyoun at lenovo.com

Adam Phillips