[ncl-talk] problem regrid WRF outputs to rectilinear grids using rcm2rgrid

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:59:47 MDT 2021

Hi LSL,
I do not have any experience with rcm2rgrid, but I would guess that the
interpolated region is correct. Looking at your two plots, the domain in
the first plot curves southeastward on the map. The resulting regridded
array seemingly does the same. If you drew the same box on the first plot
that you drew on the second, I think you'll see both data arrays go outside
the box. As far as the possible east/north shift: I think that has to do
with your target grid (and size of the individual grid boxes), and that
there is actually no shift. If you chose a different target grid shifted a
bit farther south and east, I think those boundary grid points that are
somewhat outside the box would disappear.
Hope that helps!
Adam

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 7:51 AM LSL via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Dear NCL community,
>

> I am trying to regrid WRF outputs (Lambert Conformal Projection, 3km) to
> rectilinear grids (lat/lon, 0.5 degree) using rcm2rgrid.
>

> It is found that the boundary of converted rectilinear grids are not
> exactly aligned with the black square lat/lon frame. As shown in the figure
> attached, they are a little drifted northward and eastward.
>

> Anyone can tell me where is the problem? The script is also attached.
>

> LSL

Adam Phillips