[ncl-talk] about frontogenesis

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sun Aug 8 15:59:37 MDT 2021

NCL does not have an explicit '*frontogenesis*' function.
Certainly, one could be written but, as far as I know, nobody has done this.
--------
NCL does have *'qvector_isobaric
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/qvector_isobaric.shtml>*'
and a variant  '*qvector_isobaric_cfd*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/qvector_isobaric_cfd.shtml>'

Q-vectors can be used to understand physical processes such as vertical
motion and frontogenesis.

However, NCL's functions are for global grids and the needed terms are
calculated using spherical harmonics.
These *can not* be used for WRF grids.

--------
Perhaps, the WRF community can offer some assistance.