[ncl-talk] time (integer) array to calendar

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 26 18:20:00 MDT 2021

*2019081503* is of the form yyyymmddhh
===
*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/>

Click "*Date*"

You will see a large number of 'time/date' related functions.

The *cd_inv_calendar*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/cd_inv_calendar.shtml>
function can take yyyy, mm, dd, hh and convert to a common reference time.

  yyyymmddhh = 2019081503

  yyyy = yyyymmddhh/1000000
  mdh  = yyyymmddhh%1000000
  mm   = mdh/10000
  dh     = mdh%10000
  dd     = dh/100
  hh     = dh-dd*100

; create arrays [*] of required size

  mn    = dd     ;create array same size as dd
  sc    = dd
  mn    = 0      set arrays to 0
  sc    = 0
                                              ; user specified
  units  = "hours since 1900-01-01 00:00:00" ; "seconds/hours/days since ...."
                                             ; do *NOT* use "months since ...."

  time   = *cd_inv_calendar*(yyyy,mm,dd,hh,mn,sc,units, 0)
  time!0 = "time"
  *print* <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/print.shtml>(time)

  yyyymm   = yyyy*100 + mm
  yyyymmdd = yyyymm*100 + dd
  yyyyddd  = *yyyymmdd_to_yyyyddd*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/yyyymmdd_to_yyyyddd.shtml>(
yyyymmdd )

Now you have time information in different formats. These can be used
as input to NCL's climatological functions:

*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/climo.shtml*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/climo.shtml>