[ncl-talk] Supercell Composite Parameter with WRF output

Arnaitz Fernández arnaitzfdez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 03:25:30 MDT 2021

Hi. I'm trying to make an NCL script for calculating in a map values of SCP
(Supercell Composite Parameter). The definition of this parameter is:
SCP=  (MUCAPE/1000 ) *(BS eff /20 )* (SRH eff /50 ) * (-40/MUCIN),
where BSeff is the Bulk Shear effective and SRH effective Storm relative
Shear.

With wrf_user_getvar I can obtain values of MUCAPE, MUCIN and SRH (with
some calculations of u and v) but I don't know how to calculate BS.

Another problem is that there are some values that requires conditionals:
if BS>20 --> BS = 20
if BS < 10 --> BS = 0
if MUCIN > -40 --> MUCIN  =  -40.

But there are values that change between different points on the map, so I
don't know how to do this conditionals for each point of the map. I mean, I
can't do: if MUCIN > -40: MUCIN = -40, because this is for all points of
the map. So, do you know how to do that???

Than you.