[ncl-talk] remove seasonal data

Will Hobbs will.hobbs at utas.edu.au
Sun Apr 11 17:34:02 MDT 2021

Hi Sri

To me, your question doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, since typically the annual cycle is expressed as the long-term mean of each individual day/month/season (depending on the temporal resolution of the data).

I guess if you really want to keep the climatological annual mean, I can think of two ways of doing it:

  1.  Calculate the long-term mean (over the whole dataset), remove the annual cycle using rmMonAnnCycLLT(), and then add the long-term mean back onto the data

>mn = dim_avg(data)
>anom= rmMonAnnCycLLT(data)
>anom = anom + conform(anom,mn, (/0,1/))

  1.  Estimate a 12-month cycle using fourier_info()., and remove that from the 12-momth harmonic from the data.

Will